In retrospect I (re)learned the following:
1) DON'T SPLIT UP MY FORCES! How many times do I need to learn this lesson. Every Plague Marine is precious. They are tough but they can't go it alone.
2) Use cover more. My opponent used cover to excellent advantage whereas I literally handed him an expensive Oblit. squad 2x on a platter by not sitting them in cover.
3) Make a plan and stick to it. The 2nd game went much better because I wasn't just dazzled by random targets. I had clear objectives and so could guide my units better.
4) Land Raiders kick ass! Both my opponent's and my Land Raider took so much punishment in both games without dying (actually mine might have in the 1st game but only in the final turns). I will have to try them for terminator transport.
5) Deepstrikes are a huge gamble. They can be fantastic when they go well but otherwise they're rather like bending over and waiting for the end. You take heavy abuse for your arrival turn which can easily smoke your expensive unit.
6) Double-tapping bolters is rather effective, much more so than I initially understood. Get a full squad of PMs and it could be a formidable strategy.
7) Vindicators blow (when they're in your opponent's force). I have to remember to keep my distance until I can pop it.
8) I have to read my Chaos Codex more carefully. The 'expendable' Chaos Space Marine I got so much mileage out of these two games was not legal. I mixed them up with plague marines who are able to carry 2 special weapons in a 5 man squad. CSMs can only have 1 special weapon per 5 man squad. I need a 10 man squad to field 2, which effectively makes CSMs lose most of their value. PMs however are truly an amazing value - can field 2 special weapons, fearless, feel no pain, blight grenades. Thank you Nurgle for showing me the light and bringing me back to the fold.
Scratchbuilding and painting:
Warhound's Necrotic Companions
Fellios the Fallen and cohorts
Scratchbuilt Greater Daemon
Team game battle reports
Heretics of the Broken Dawn 2 x2
Lady Pestilence’s' 1st Outing
Regular Battle reports
Making Don’s BA sweat
First time facing pure Necrons
Christmas with the Greenskins
Don’s IG on a new board
Nurgle Annihilated by Blood Angels
1st time versus Tarkand
Mexican standoff: 2nd Game vs. Tarkand
Nurgle Downs the Sisters
Faceoff with the Lions of Achaea on a brand new board
Tight match against Corbeau’s Nids
The death of Pedro Kantor
Apocalypse battle reports
La Chute de Dominus Org (Fr.)
Fall of Dominus Org (Eng.)
The betrayal of Fellios and the fall of Engel Sarg
Chester’s first outing and first time going Nuclear!
Chester gets schooled by the Eldar!
NERFed Battle with the Tau
Easter Egg hunt
Super Heavy Scrum
1st Spearhead Match
A tenuous alliance
Chaos Ludik 2011!
Storms Cityfight Tournament: part 2
Storms Cityfight Tournament: part 1
’Ard Boyz Practice Match against Valkom’s IG
Gorillapod tripod test with remote
Warhammer in a nutshell