Friday, January 4, 2019

Keystone Capers: Apocalypse Battle Report

The table was two 6x4 tables attached end to end. We had a nice selection at our local gaming store and chose the cities of death board in particular. We then proceeded to pack it with terrain; me being the most enthusiastic because my image was of a war torn city with tight cramped shooting lanes. My only tenet was that super heavies needed to be able to cross the entire board so there had to be one clear yet circuitous lane. Photos-wise, the densely packed board made for a much more appealing aesthetic. The marines’ player kept quietly removing terrain every time I turned my back so I quietly just put it back. Finally we agreed on his end, the board would have almost no terrain so he could deploy his bastions properly.
The teams were Nurgle & Ultrasmurfs (Imperial) against the two Slaaneshi players (Chaos), 5,000 points each for a total of 20,000 points. Not ideal fluffwise but I figured out a decent story as we were playing. My partner was openly contemptuous of the alliance, choosing to deploy completely on the other side of the table, even though he had the choice to deploy on both ends. Nurgle is about unconditional acceptance and love though so I put a bunch of zombies in his deployment zone to ensure a proper infection got started.
We did a casual deployment in the name of alacrity, so everyone just started putting their models on the table. Chaos (The two Slaaneshi players) deployed first and wanted to go first, so I agreed to let them for fairness’ sake. Imperial took almost 20 minutes longer as I was still sorting cards when Chaos started deploying.
When the dust settled on turn 1, Chaos had advanced towards all the objectives but stopped shy of actually claiming any. Their plan, which came to fruition in turn 2, was to seize all the objectives and run back into their own zone. I had played my troops really aggressively, depleting all my poxes, nurglings and plague bearers in one turn; and managed to claim 5 of 6 objectives giving us a clutch 2 KSP right off the bat. This I invested in the Warpborn, sacrificing a single surviving poxwalker. My main losses that hurt were Rotigus & the troops.
My plague marines and Lord were largely forgettable, shooting into a squad of noise marines in a choke point. I found it really difficult to kill anything with regular units. It really required ganging up. Thus with both my bloat drones and the defiler I was able to chew through the squad. This fight dragged on for a few turns, until some termies dropped in and cleaned house. My first daemon prince with spitter was knicked pretty quickly doing nothing of note.
Turn 2, I went hunting gifts, prioritizing my Warhound, my daemon prince warlord, and the Warpborn. I picked weak easy targets for the Warhound but he still managed to only barely kill a rhino, gaining a +2 invulnerable Tzeentch gift. His weapons are largely useless against anything that is not Titanic or a Building. I had to gang up to get a gift for the prince. My Plagueburst Crawler vomited on some noise marines, then my dread and prince attacked them in CC, and my prince delivered the killing blow, gaining another +2 invulnerable save. The Warpborn was a superstar whacking both an HQ with his warpflame and a rhino in CC. This gave him a 2+ invulnerable and a 24” move with the Slaanesh gift, making him über resilient and fast.
When I was designing the scenario, I thought there would be more gifts granted than actually happened overall. In total maybe 12 units got buffed. The marines had a few bastions buffed and Slaanesh got buffs on the giant tank and the Heldrakes from what I remember. At least those were the things that were in my face for the rest of the game. I think also the big Slaanesh Forgeworld Daemon got buffed as well since its save was 3+ as well.
Chaos got 1 KSP and Imperial got none in turn 2.
Turn 3 was a blast. Dead units came back including Rotigus, some Noise Marines, Some Snipers and a Dread. Imperial took control of Rotigus and the Noise Marines. I still didn’t get to use Rotigus once since he was taken out by the Fellblade’s crazy lascannons. All the other units were shot down as well except the noise marines. Nobody likes a revenant.
The Warpborn became a force to be reckoned with when he tore across the table into the middle of the board and stomped a massive squad of cultists with his warpflame and CC attack. I had ambitions of using him single handedly to clear all the objectives Chaos was dragging back deep into their deployment zone.
Meanwhile I discovered just how crazy the Macro weapon from Forgeworld really is. Turn 2, I thought my Warhound was a steaming overpriced pile of poop but then he one shot the Fellblade, and I felt better about investing 2000 points into him. He’s still a glass cannon unit so it’s debatable how good he is. The +2 invulnerable kept him in the game until the end though, which was a welcome change. Normally it gets whacked in the first turn that I put it on the table. It also absolutely requires Titanic targets to make him worthwhile. The shooting is abysmal against anything else.
Dabo tried to ace my Warhound with a ton of obliterators but he rolled poorly and my 3+ invulnerable save kept me going. My CC plague marines came in with the Foul Blightspawn but performed poorly, killing maybe two I think. This fight dribbled on for another two turns but they were tied up at least. The crazy flamer of the Foul Blightspawn, which I thought was common knowledge, took my opponent by surprise. My plague marines were all dead by turn 5.
Imperial got 0 and Chaos got 2 KSP at the end of turn 3.
Turn 4, most of the west side of the board’s terrain collapsed from the Warpstorm effects. The colourful Slaaneshi player got hit the hardest, as it was only his units that were in the buildings when they fell.
With all their KSP, Chaos revived the Fellblade. I one shot it again though with Chester. At least he got another turn of firing.
The battle for the objectives became really intense. Dabo ran off with two objectives in his rhinos, grabbing the second with the Keystone Capers Stratagem. I managed to liberate one by focus firing everything on the units around it. I was underwhelmed by my ability to take out armour when it took 2 bloat drones, a ton of noise marines, my PBC, and my rhino guns to kill a rhino. The Leviathan was excellent at clearing cultists with the butcher cannons though.
The Slaaneshi players were annoyed at the Warpborn so they tried to hem it in with some defilers, a warlord and a couple of fiends. The fiends attacked first eating the flamer, and then a defiler ate the next volley. By the end of the turn, the Warpborn had wiped out all his aggressors and was ready to charge something else. Unfortunately, the big flyer then bombed him, causing 16 mortal wounds, and taking him down to 1 wound.
Despite our best efforts, Chaos held onto the objectives, seizing another 2 KSP.
Last turn, Chaos brought in their own Warpborn, which was then turned on their own unit in a funny twist of fate. Due to the Turncoat effect in Turn 5, their unit of noise marines holding an objective defected to the Imperial side. It then got warpflamed by the Warpborn for their treachery. I made sure that the surviving member dropped the objective in plain sight of my teammate’s lascannons. My warlord meanwhile became a treacherous git himself. We didn’t get the opportunity to put him down though.
It looked bad for us as Chaos was holding 5 of the objectives still, but through judicious lascannoning my Ultrasmurf partner took out three. I tried to kill a fourth with Chester but he just completely whiffed it and I was out of Command Points to do a reroll. And that as they say was that. The game was declared a draw as neither side had achieved their targets.


Contents
Tables des matières

No comments:

Post a Comment